Lewistown Presbyterian’s Boy Scout Troop 4 is the oldest continuously-chartered scout troop in the United States. Young men and boys have learned valuable skills and life-lessons through Troop 4 since the inception of scouting in 1910. The troop was formed by William P. Woods, a descendent of former pastor, James S. Woods. William Woods also donated the land for the Seven Mountains Scout Camp where Troop 4 owns a cabin.
An early extension of the troop was the first Boy Scout Band in the United States. Formed in 1911, the band played all over the northeastern United States, marching in the inaugural parades of the governor of Pennsylvania and of US President Woodrow Wilson in 1913.
Scores of Eagle Scout ranks have been awarded by Troop 4.